ESSAY #2 REPORT ON RESEARCH IN PROGRESS

My sources are found in different sections, some of them are through articles of “Academic One File”, and “Opposing Viewpoints in Context” (from the CCNY page). Others come from other reliable websites. However, all of them are trustworthy because they either are peer-reviewed, authored by scholars, contain a bibliography, or elements of a scholarly source.

I found three popular media sources and six scholarly sources. In the popular media sources of “‘A lack of evidence for six times more anxiety and depression in US graduate students than in the general population” and its “Reply,” they both argue the rate of depression among graduate students, which show an opposite viewpoint, and how each of them uses their resources to support their arguments. Next, ” Depression and College Students” briefly describes the causes and effects of depression among college teens while also including some basic treatments. All these sources can help me support my paper on the topic of depression, some of them contain arguments (opposite views), while others illustrate the concept of depression.

As well, my scholarly sources provide deep knowledge of the issue of anxiety because each of them explains with further detail and shows a specific cause and treatment for each one. The articles ” Suicide and depression among college students: A decade later” and “Depression, Delinquency, and Suicidal Behaviors Among College Students” both show a connection between depression and suicide, which emphasizes that their emotional states influence their behavioral responses. Next, “Behavioral problems and their relationship to maternal depression, marital relationships, social skills and parenting” shows the differences in groups of people from different backgrounds and religions manage the issue differently because of their beliefs and views. While in the article, “The Relationship between Insecure Attachment to Depression: Mediating Role of Sleep and Cognitive Reappraisal” shows a big link between sleep quality and depression. Moreover, there are two other articles written by the same author, which provides causes of depression among college students in ” Depression and Anxiety Among College Students” and the treatments of the subject in “Depression Treatment.” They both have connections to one another and explains the same topic.

A source that I excluded while conducting my research was “Major Depression” (https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statistics/major-depression.shtml) because it does not clearly relate to my research question. It mainly focuses on depression and its prevalence in the United States but does not provide explanations and connections to the concerns of college students. Next, a source that I am considering to use is “Depression and College Students” (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4527955/) because it links to my research question, but at the same time, I am also thinking about using too many sources, that might cover the same stuff. However, it is a good source because it provides useful data about the problem I am looking for, which is also related to my intended goal. It is reliable because it has been peer-reviewed and contains citations supporting it.

After all, I don’t think I missed anything in my research because I tried to complete my sources at first and to give me a general idea of what I am going to talk about in my paper. Since I like to do things at a stretch to reduce my time next week when I write my first draft, so I think it will be easier to carry all my sources with me now. However, I am considering giving “Depression and College Students” since it would give a lot of information to my audience and to myself while writing the research.

Works Cited

“Depression and College Students.” National Institute of Mental Health, 2012, infocenter.nimh.nih.gov/pubstatic/NIH%2012-4266/NIH%2012-4266.pdf.

Duffy, Meghan, et al. “A lack of evidence for six times more anxiety and depression in US graduate students than in the general population.” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 37, no. 7, 2019, p. 711+. Gale In Context: Opposing Viewpoints, https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A592073094/OVIC?u=cuny_ccny&sid=OVIC&xid=4020f821. Accessed 24 Oct. 2020.

Evans, Teresa M., et al. “Reply to ‘A lack of evidence for six times more anxiety and depression in US graduate students than in the general population’.” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 37, no. 7, 2019, p. 712+. Gale In Context: Opposing Viewpoints, https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A592073095/OVIC?u=cuny_ccny&sid=OVIC&xid=244b0822. Accessed 24 Oct. 2020.

Furr, Susan R., et al. Suicide and Depression among College Students: A Decade Later. 2001, psycnet.apa.org/record/2001-16220-015.

Liu, Yige, et al. “The Relationship between Insecure Attachment to Depression: Mediating Role of Sleep and Cognitive Reappraisal.” Neural Plasticity, 2020, p. NA. Gale Academic OneFile, https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A624880387/AONE?u=cuny_ccny&sid=AONE&xid=ca1624b2. Accessed 24 Oct. 2020.

Jeglic, Elizabeth L. “Depression, Delinquency, and Suicidal Behaviors Among College Students.” Crisis, 1 Jan. 2014, econtent.hogrefe.com/doi/abs/10.1027/0227-5910/a000226?journalCode=cri.

Phillips, Rick, and Andrea Henderson. “Religion and depression among U.S. college students.” International Social Science Review, vol. 81, no. 3-4, 2006, p. 166+. Gale Academic OneFile, https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A160103827/AONE?u=cuny_ccny&sid=AONE&xid=c5cd5437. Accessed 24 Oct. 2020.

Tartakovsky, Margarita. “Depression and Anxiety Among College Students.” Psych Central, 8 Oct. 2018, psychcentral.com/lib/depression-and-anxiety-among-college-students/.

Tartakovsky, Margarita. “Depression Treatment: Diagnosis & Options.” Psych Central, 6 July 2020, psychcentral.com/depression/depression-treatment/.

Comments ( 5 )

1. Alice Liu
    Hi Elena, good sources you have so far! As for the source that you are currently debating, I think you should use it if it brings new information that your other sources don't provide and if it would benefit your research and make your essay more strong and informative. I think it's fine if you have the 6 scholarly sources and 3 popular sources, I have 3 scholarly sources and 4 popular sources. Overall, good job! I hope to read your essay!
  2. Aditya Sankar Das
    Hi Elena, You have mentioned where you found your sources and why these sources are reliable. Also, you have a lot of good sources to gather a lot of information. I am glad that you didn't miss anything about your research. Overall, I think you have all the information to write a well-developed essay. Good luck with that.
  3. Jaden Fabro
    Great job on curating all of these sources. Since the majority of them are scholarly articles, they are reliable and also prove to have a lot of useful information about your topic. I think if you wanted to add more popular media sources to balance it out, it would be interesting to have one on someone's personal experience of your topic. You could even relate this to a case study if your scholarly sources contain any. Otherwise, amazing job!
  4. Jiajie Liang
    Hi Elena! The sources you have gathered are very credible, which will be very convincing for your argumentative presentation of your paper. Also, I like your topic and the information you're looking for is very comprehensive, which makes me look forward to how your essay will show up and I hope you get a high score!
  5. Haseeb Chaudhury
    You have good sources since most of them are credible and it relates to your research question. Your sources also present good information about your topic of the source of depression. I think you just need to organize your information and your good to go!