Audience Strategy

For my composition in two genre essays, my intended audience is the US government. The primary characteristics of the US government are that they are their ones who can make and pass laws to make a change in today’s society and economy. I want them to understand that one of the main contributions to the current racial wealth gap between black and white Americans is from the numerous policies that they’ve passed and did not prevent, since the beginning of American history. I want them to bring more awareness to the issue and that they need to do something about it because the racial wealth gap limits opportunities such as medical needs, quality education, and career opportunities among the American public based on their race.

The genre that would make my ideas more accessible is a political cartoon. Political cartoons are generally published through newspaper and online magazine and newspaper articles; therefore, this type of genre is accessible to the public. Politicians would be able to see the political cartoon because they probably read a newspaper or the internet to keep up to date on current issues.

The rhetorical strategies I intend on using is pathos and logos. Since I am using a political cartoon as my genre, I’m going to demonstrate how the black American population had suffered from the laws and policies that the government has implemented, and how this country was able to grow through the suffrage of black Americans. I also plan on using logos by writing the specific policies on each white man’s torso. I would try to draw what each of those policies did.

Comments ( 2 )

1. Elena Yu Xu
    Hi! I am so glad that you have your ideas ready and briefly explained the issue of the racial wealth gap here between white and black people. Your topic is interesting! plus this issue happens here every day, which really makes it significant to talk about. Next, your ideas for your genre are amazing, and I think they will really influence your audience's attention and connects to your rhetorical strategies of pathos and logos.
  2. Andrey Musin
    Hey Alice. I am focusing my audience on the U.S. Government as well. I am interested in seeing how you will convey your message. I really like that you have your political cartoon idea mainly fleshed out as you were describing in regards to your logos. I think it will make for a powerful image!