Class Introduction

Name: Marcela Velecela

Major: Economics

Preferred Gender Pronouns: She/Her

After reading over the syllabus, one thing I am most excited about is learning how to express my thoughts and feelings through carefully wrought language. I am not that good at thoroughly expressing my thoughts on paper and is one of the reasons why I don’t enjoy writing much. I’m always left with this feeling like something in my writing is missing.  That being said, I am also nervous about the amount of writing we will be doing this semester. It’s a challenge I am looking forward to in order to improve as a writer.

The qualities of good writing involve a process of brainstorming for ideas, making multiple drafts, and receiving feedback on your work. In order to be a good writer, one must do their part in researching thoroughly on their chosen subject. For me, research is the biggest part of writing because it’s important to understand what you’re writing about and create or increase public awareness on it. It is important to write well because by doing so you can communicate with the audience better. It will not only benefit your audience but also you in your career and everyday life.

The easiest part about writing, for me, is the part involving research. I enjoy researching about a topic that interests me, especially if it’s something new to me. The hardest part about writing is writing about a topic that I have no connection to. At times, it’s even hard to find a bit of motivation to begin writing and that’s where procrastination starts to hit me. I need to work on learning how to write about a variety of topics, especially on those I may not enjoy so much. I also need to work on self-reviewing. I’ve always found it easier to point out grammatical mistakes to others, but myself.

For my intended major, I believe there is quite a bit of writing I will be doing. Economists research, collect and analyze data so they may, later on, present their results in reports. The writing I will be doing will be analytical and descriptive. Career-wise, being an effective writer will help me with my communication skills and make better choices when advising a client about future projections.