Class Introduction

Alice Liu

Intended Major: Computer Science

Pronouns: She/Her

As a freshman in college, I was already nervous about one thing. Whether or not I would be able to survive a college-level English course. And it certainly did not help that we were doing online classes because distractions are everywhere. However, upon looking through the syllabus, my concerns lessened when I discover that we would be able to discuss societal norms and values and how it would challenge social justice. Living during a time where we can fight for social justice and promote change, has always been an interest in mine. Being able to discuss these topics allows me to assure myself that I would be engaged in class and that I would hopefully do well.

Although initially, engagement was a worry of mine, another concern was that writing has always been a weakness for me. The hardest part is being able to write in a good flow. As a result, oftentimes, my writing may sound “childish” and not “mature”. It does not sound that good when you read it. However, I do intend to overcome this weakness of mine and learn new things through the critique of my peers and instructor. A strength in mine when it comes to writing would be the ability to conduct research. I am able to find several detailed information that I would incorporate in my writing, to inform my audience.

Several qualities would make a writing piece be considered ‘good’. An example of the qualities would be, good flow to the writing, no grammar mistakes, and that you can engage the reader or audience without bombarding them with information. Instead, you utilize unique techniques to engage them. Of course, none of these would be possible if you weren’t focused. One has to be focused because it allows you to be in this state of mind where you think about how you should structure your writing, and it just allows you to have this flow of information and ideas flow out of your brain onto a piece of paper. Being able to write well is so significant because you are effectively able to get your ideas/message across to your audience whether it is to inform or persuade them. You can ignite change or inspiration through your writing.

With the intention of going into the field of computer science, I would need to write really well because it is crucial in career opportunities. When finding a job, it’s hard. A factor that sets you apart from other applicants is if your able to get your ideas across important people, whether it is your boss, an investor, or your team. If people are unable to understand what your code means through your writing, why would they work with you or hire you?

Comments ( 5 )

1. Elena Yu Xu
    Hi Alice! As a freshman student, I have the same feeling as you, such as nervousness, but excitement at the same time since everything would be different, especially we are doing online classes now. After that, I agree with what you stated about career opportunities with good writing since it is a very important tool for people to understand when trying to express your ideas and thoughts.
  2. Christine
    Hi Alice! You wrote a quality of good writing was the ability to “engage the reader or audience without bombarding them with information,“ and I found that very relatable! I often become so focused on providing details and incorporating every bit of information that my writing can become heavy and long winded. I like how you described using structure and good writing techniques to create an engaging and focused flow of information instead.
  3. Andrey Musin
    You're writing does not have a hint of immaturity or childishness! I think you're perfectly ready for a college level course! However a good flow can only appear in your writing when you are not only confident in what you are conveying but also when you begin to realize there is an inherent sense of worth in your voice! Also a ton of practice!
  4. Justine M. Tourdot
    Hi Alice. You said doing research was a strong point for you. It's a bit difficult for me. Research skills are very valuable because going forward I think it will be the majority of papers. Research requires insight in between quotes. I think you have the hardest part down.
  5. Alexa Morales
    Hi Alice! I completely agree with your point that dealing with online classes would be difficult because of distractions. Also dealing with the troubles of having a flow with writing. I can totally relate to that !