Class Introduction Essay

English 110: Freshman Composition: Class Introduction Essay

Name: Edward Quezada

Intended Major: Electrical Engineering

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

After having read the syllabus for Freshman Composition as well as “Composition as a Write of Passage” by Nathalie Singh-Corcoran, I can conclude that literature plays an essential role in the way we can express ourselves to the world. As of now, I don’t believe I have any uncertainties towards this course just yet. If I am looking forward to anything this semester, it would have to be being able to further my communication skills and methods of expressing my perspectives on certain topics or issues that I may be interested in sharing with others. 

Pertaining to the qualities writers posses, I believe a “good” writer would be someone who expresses their arguments and point of view in a respectful manner towards their readers. Although the purpose of many writings is to persuade or inform the reader on a subject, it is essential that the writer properly appeals to this audience as well. After providing the audience with a thorough understanding of the topic, the writer can then provide his/her perspective and ideas. Having the audience relate to the subject in any way, would help draw their attention. Furthermore, the writer will have to effectively explain why they believe their argument counteracts an opposing side, if there is one. In this case, it is essential that the opposing side is briefly included. A writer who solely focuses on their side alone would probably fail to convince their audience because there could be a curiosity concerning the opposing side’s points.

The easiest part of writing for me would be providing my own thoughts and ideas on a topic I feel comfortable with. However, as stated before, being able to efficiently express myself and provide the reader with sufficient information can be a challenge, especially because we don’t know the background knowledge and personal beliefs that some of the readers may have on that specific subject.

Being able to express our thoughts and arguments properly will help open doors for opportunity in every career field there is. As far as how we use literature in Engineering, it can greatly benefit those who pursue this field. An engineer will have to prepare technical documents to provide their research and findings to others. The technical document must appeal to a broad-spectrum of readers who have different experiences and knowledge with certain subjects. There may be an expert in the audience as well as someone who is not familiar with the topic at all. The document must allow the readers to understand the topic without leaving them with more questions. As an engineer, I must be able to create a well-written report that provides sufficient background knowledge and research for the audience. Doing so, provides the possibility to appeal to an audience that could potentially open many doors of opportunity for me.

Comments ( 3 )

1. Alice Liu
    Hi Edward, I definitely agree with your idea that a "good" writer should be able to express their ideas in a respectful manner. Writing and words can be harmful especially if one is spreading negative information or ideas that would hurt someone's feelings, identity, etc. If they're able to present their ideas without being offensive, I'd say they would be a really good writer because they've taken the way they should structure their words and sentences into consideration and they were professional too.
  2. Elena Yu Xu
    Hi Edward! I correspond with what you stated about writer's qualities with having a strong communication setup toward their audiences, such as being able to express what they intend to; in an understandable way since I guess this is one of the purposes of writing. Furthermore, I also agree with what you and Alice talked about having a respectful manner in writing because it is also significant when taking consideration of others (audiences) and not being insulted when reading.
  3. Justine M. Tourdot
    Hi Edward. I agree that at a basic level writers have to appeal to their readers. Even if the writer's intent is not to persuade the audience he has to persuade the reader to stay interested. I find persuasive writing very compelling. It is important to do extensive research on the opposing side so that you can counter any arguments that would arise.