Class Introduction- Hudibel Ovalles

Name: Hudibel Ovalles

Preferred Pronouns: She/Hers

Major: Psychology

After reading and analyzing the syllabus, I submerged into a deep ocean of feelings. One part of me couldn’t believe the idea that I was going to have the opportunity to expand my writing abilities and then being able to use it in other professional areas. But, the other side of me was anxious about the language barrier that exists for me. The fact that I came to this country two years ago makes me doubt a lot about myself and my abilities when it comes to writing in English. And even though, I’m able to understand and speak in English, there is still a barrier between what I want to say and how I expressed.

For me, a good writer should be passionate when it comes to express their ideas and thoughts. In order to be a good writer, you should be able to understand your audience and be concise with the words and the impact you want to create. Good writing skills open the doors of the world for you to write what you can’t say, and then shared with the world. When it comes to writing, I’m pretty good at analyzing the speaker, his purpose, and then connected to his audience. But as I said before, it is still hard for me to express exactly what I want to say and then used to my favor.

I’m not sure what type of genre I would be writing about, maybe research articles and a lot of essays. But, what I know is that being an effective writer would give me the chance to connect with people outside of everything I know, forcing them to see me for my passionate words and not for my race or nationality.

Comments ( 2 )

1. Chao Hong
    I like how you explained how language may be a problem for you specifically because you learned English not a while ago. However, I believe that despite the language barrier a powerful piece of writing would not be limited by language.
  2. Miranda McCants
    I like how you went into detail about your challenges as a writer, on the other hand I think that you shouldn't let that get to you. Dedication and effort go a long way if you put your mind to it. Good luck!