Class Introduction

Name: Elena Yu Xu

Intended Major: Economics

Gender Pronouns: She/ Her

After reviewing the syllabus, I noticed the purpose of this class about reading and writing, and how it would benefit me in the future since I could improve my writing level as a college student, and I believe it would help me a lot with my major and future career. However, there is always something that I get nervous about, but also anxious concerning the syllabus which is the time management, and I would like to get some pieces of advice on how we can handle it. Also, I wonder if we would have any quizzes and exams in this course since it doesn’t show in the syllabus.
Concerning the qualities of good writers, I believe the ability to be able to connect the information to their own experiences and thoughts is a good one because they can get their audiences the point of what they are trying to speak. Next, being able to write well helps you and your readers to understand better when sharing stories with them, but also can catch their feelings and emotions connected to your writing. It is important to write well because I think it would help you a lot in the future when you try to share some of your ideas and thoughts with others.
Different parts of writing always have different bars on it, depending on each individual. For example, the easiest part of writing for me is to explain the meaning and the significance of certain references to give further detail to the viewers when I try to write in some essays. However, other people might think differently. On the other hand, the hardest part of writing is to provide information on something when I have little knowledge of it, and I worry about my mistakes since everyone can think differently according to their beliefs and point of view.
Relating to genres that I will be expected to write with my intended major/ future career, I guess it would be something similar to essays, reports in order to give concepts and details to people, so they could have a better conclusion of what I try to say, such as facts and concerns linked to economic problems. Next, being an effective writer affects my career opportunities because it could help me to share my opinions clearly and to provide details to others, which can let them have a better determination associated with finances.

Comments ( 6 )

1. Alice Liu
    Hi Elena, I've also shared the same concerns with you. Time management has always been a problem of mine and the fact there are also other courses with several assignments I need to pick up the pace and start doing things in a timely manner. One tip to get started would be to buy a planner or use a calendar. It has definitely helped me with my time management. Furthermore, I agree with the fact that a writer should be able to connect the information to their own experiences because being able to relate to something that your writing allows the writer to be more descriptive and connect to readers who are able to share the same experiences.
  2. Edward Quezada
    Hi Elena, I would also have to agree with Alice that time management can be a challenge for many due to the amount of classes one might be taking during the semester. While it may be a burden, planning our studying hours properly would help keep ourselves organized and ready. Another thought I would have to agree with would be having to provide information on a topic we are not complete experts on. We would have to do our own research in order to then provide our own thoughts or ideas based off of what we learned.
  3. Alexa Morales
    Hi Elena ! I agree with the part of your post where you explain that the hardest part of writing has to do with providing information. I'm able to easily gather these texts to back me up in my writing, but it can be challenging to use it effectively so I totally understand and can relate with your concern.
  4. Erezana Morina
    Hi Elena, I really enjoyed reading your response to Class Introduction. Something that caught my eye was the fact that you said, "being able to write well helps you and your readers to understand better when sharing stories with them", I truly agree since I think that the world depends on resonance and relations with others. However I totally understand your point on not beings as knowledgeable on certain topics because that could result into negative feedback from others, which is always a fear of mine. I absolutely accept every feedback from anyone but sometimes people tend to leave very negative comments, for instance in a blog review etc.
  5. Jiajie Liang
    Hi Elena ! Nice sentence to explained the impact of writing on your future development, connect to your major course. Writing well can catch their feelings and emotions , I couldn't agree more with this sentence. A good writing not only learns writing sequence but also makes it easier to understand the main idea .That's why writing is a necessary learning process for us.
  6. Aditya Sankar Das
    Hi, Elena. Nice to meet you. There are some good points that you mentioned. Maybe many students have the same issues. Another thing you mention about time management is a very good point. When we read a passage or text we waste a lot of time. Finally, I want to say that best of luck! You did a great job.