Essay #1 Source List

Newspaper Aritcle

This New York Times article covers the issue of increased suicide within young people ages 10 to 24. It goes in depth on explaining how this issue is important and is often put to the sidelines and isnt explored. Showing the importance of the issue towards the reader. Following which is goes into details regarding statistics and possible causes. The article focuses on Soical Media as the main factor however it does not say that is the only primary cause. However it does  try to say that there is a direct link between the amount of time young people spend on their phones communicating with others and increase in young teen and young adult suicide.

Magazine Article

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/suicide-isnt-always-related-to-mental-illness

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/family-friends-seeking-justice-for-channing-smith-outed-teen-died-by-suicide

So I am uncretain about which one of these sources from teenvogue I will be using. One covers a specific suicide case regarding a 16 year-old boy named Channing Smith who commitied suicide becuase he was outed online by two other teens for being gay. A few hours later he killed himself. From one hand this article covers a specific case and goes in depth with the situation as well as how often the law gets involved in suicide and whether it is justified to punish someone else for making a child take his or her own life. The second article is more general explaining that suicide is never just as simple as someone wanting to end their own life but someone wanting to end the pain they are feeling. It is connected to self-esteem and other possible factors. I may try to use both articles or maybe just the one. I understand this is supposed to be a rhetorical analysis essay however when we were asked to choose a social issue, i decided that I wouldn’t pick something everyone else is already talking about. There are some seriously wrong things going on in peoples minds over the last 2 decades including my own, which I believe are worth exploring. So although I tried my best to find good sources that properly presented the issue I feel like the issue is so vast there might still be more out there and I may change these as the process for writing the essay continues. Depending on how much they fit within the analysis and within my own opinion which I may try to put in either in the conclusion and or otherwise, if that is allowed that is.

Open Web Source

https://www.thegriefgirl.com/life-after-loss—a-blog

So this is a blog on the internet, the blogger has written mmany books regarding different issues one of them being suicide. Within this blog post she talks about the issue and that the one thing is is missing like many others within our soicety is ACTION. Suicide has been one of the issues that has been put aside and almost avoided all together by governments and political officals. When teens and young adults go into schools kill others and then kill themselves (at an increasing rate for years) something should’ve been done a long time ago especially after collombine, many other issues like this are put of by governments for decades until they are solved. Just look at slavery, the founding fathers actually wrote all men are created equal, and even had a whole section of the original draft of the declaration of independence talk about why the issue was wrong. But they removed it and left it to the future generations to figure it out, its stupid. What gets accomplished if all we do is talk about an issue when nothing is done to prevent it. Same goes with racism, and other issues. People speak out regarding them and that is always something we need, however we need to do better than just that we should create a society in which instead of kids considering killing themselves because of bullying (cyber or otherwise), or killing others a long with them, they understand that religion, color, sexuality, and everything else at the end of the day doesn’t matter. We are all human, we all die in the end. People need to understand how to treat each other like people then most of the problems we have today would vanish. The article also mentions that “suicide prevention education is now mandatory in all California schools, thanks to the bill AB2246 passed in late 2016. But unfortunately, there is still no date on which schools are required to meet this mandate.” So even with the government finally getting involved to some degree its not even being enforced.

Scholarly Source

https://journals.lww.com/journalofchristiannursing/Fulltext/2016/04000/Teen_Depression_and_Suicide__A_Silent_Crisis.9.aspx

This Article breaks down suicide as depression in young teens as being the main cause. Its broken down very well showing the reader what depression is (although you cant fully comprehend something you never experienced) and then following up with how that leads to suicide and how we can prevent it. The lack of action and the action we could take.

Comment ( 1 )

1. Ayesha Abdul-Fattaah
    This topic is very personal to me as well, as I have many people close to me who have attempted suicides, and know of a couple who have successfully committed suicide. I did not even realize people as early as 10 years old commit suicide, it breaks me heart. I agree that I may also change my sources as my writing process progresses, because it is possible that I will redirect my topic a little, I hope that is allowed. I am excited to hopefully read your essay! Thank you for sharing.