Essay #1 Topic Reflection: Abortion

Abortion is currently one of the most controversial topics in the United States. People are divided between pro-choice and pro-life, with no in-between. Between the two groups, there is the debate as to whether or not abortion should be legal or illegal, considering how there is the argument of whether or not the fetus is considered a living being, and whether or not it is morally and religiously right, and if a woman has the right to choose exceeds the rights of the fetus. People who are pro-life believe that the fetus killed in question, is a living being, therefore they have the right to live and when one decides to abort, they are essentially murdering another living person. People who are pro-choice believe that they have the right to decide how to live their life and some of them believe that the fetus is not a living person.

This social issue is a topic of interest for me because it is a dilemma where everybody–regardless of gender, race, and religion, can participate in for a discussion and choose their stance on this topic. Furthermore, and it does make me question myself on what side I choose and if there is a possibility of a middle ground between the two sides, and if that middle ground would be if someone was raped or if the fetus is a product of incest. How would that affect people’s opinions about abortion? I hope to learn more about both sides and I hope to see if science would be the one to end this argument. The major argument for the pro-life side is that a fetus is a living person. But, what is considered a living person? Based on science, a living person is one who not only breathes and is conscious and aware of their surrounding but also has the ability to think. Is a fetus able to do that? There is still no answer to this, but when one looks at the sonogram of a fetus at around the age where abortion can be conducted, the fetus looks a lot like an infant. Only time and research will tell whether abortion is right or not and whether it should be legal or not.