Essay #1 Topic Reflection- Alexa Morales

I want to stick with my topic on immigration. However, I want to research the common misconceptions around this topic. Probably investigate some stories where the family succeeds with their status in the United States. As I did my last assignment on immigration, I want to stick to what I know. This interests me because I’ve seen my loved ones deal with these issues (but they end up overcoming them). For example, my family has never experienced any issues with the government with their immigration status. Yes, they were born in the Dominican Republic but after all the paperwork they’ve been doing well. My grandfather took more of most of the paperwork and made sure his children can come to this country to gain more opportunities for their future. This is where the misconceptions come in. Some people might think that most migration to the USA is illegal. But this is not true because in 2013, 19.4 million residents in America were naturalized citizens, a process that takes five years. They’re also many families who come to America for more than the benefits. It’s obvious that America may offer them more options than their home country, but it becomes much harder to get these healthcare or education benefits when the government is aware of your status. Therefore, I want to know more about the families that the media does not report on. I want to focus on the families that get far in their life once they come to America. Those families that can prove everyone else wrong.