Essay #1 Topic Reflection: Ethnic and Racial Profiling and Violence

Ethnic and racial profiling is when someone, like the law enforcement, take action simply based on appearance. Without a trace of evidence, or even any type of investigation, people have lost their lives because someone decided they were doing something wrong or out of the ordinary. Individuals are told to never act a certain way, or to never make a mistake because once they do, it’s a higher chance that they just put their lives at risk. What gives someone the right to point fingers based upon their race, ethnicity, or their demeanor? When did it become justified for someone to shoot before gathering all the facts?There have been minors who don’t even have access to a weapon, but because they look suspicious, someone decides it’s okay to take action. This affects minorities and immigrants, this affects Muslims, Arabs, Latinos, Asian-Americans, etc., this affects different races. Even if you’ve never experienced ethnic or racial profiling, there are people out there who have, there are people who have lost friends, there are people who have been ripped from their families. Some of us have family who we fear we’ll lose because of the dangers that come with ethnic or racial profiling. I want to learn the history behind ethnic and racial profiling, I want to learn what is being done about the matter, I want to read the experiences people have gone through, I want to be informed about the organizations and groups that exist to put an end to these situations, I want to be further educated on the matter.