Essay #1 (Topic Reflection): Ethnic Discrimination

Many social issues have appeared throughout history and into present times. As society becomes informed, many strive to find solutions in order to improve the wellbeing of victims facing these issues. Racism, being one of many dilemmas, has developed into a widespread conflict that millions of Americans face every year. By definition, racism is considered to be a belief that race determines someone’s traits and capacities and these racial differences lead to the belief of superiority of a particular race. People of different backgrounds experience this discrimination all around the United States. This has become an important social issue that many speak out about through literary works, especially in the most recent years. Americans who identify as Hispanics or Latinos have fallen victims to this issue as have many other Americans from different backgrounds in the United States. Hispanics or Latinos make up about twenty percent of the total population in the United States today. This percentage translates to around 60 million people, making Hispanics the largest minority group in the nation. This type of discrimination has affected the lives of many as they face obstacles caused by others. These obstacles can range from discrimination in a job environment to being discriminated while walking around. This subject has gradually turned into one of my many interests as I become more aware of the different social issues found in today’s world. A rather more specific reason as to why I believe this is an important matter is due to the many ways that I have seen people share their experiences with society, whether it be through the internet or sharing these unfortunate moments with friends and families. This social dilemma has been around for some time and I would like to further analyze the reasons and intentions behind the inappropriate behavior that Americans face around the country. I would also like to read more about how this behavior has developed over time and its effects on the daily lives of the victims. Being able to read and analyze how people have chosen to bring light to this social issue is also essential to gaining a better understanding in this matter.