Essay #2 Reflection

My topic is about depression for college students in the United States. When I was creating my research question, I faced some troubles, and my topic was vague. At first, I was thinking about a lot of things, and I came up with a lot of ideas when I was trying to figure out my research question. My mind was vague, and I did not know what I am going to write about. However, I took some time to figure it out by writing all my ideas on a piece of paper and connect them all into a single one, which has helped me a lot. Especially with the technique of what professor Shamecca provided, she has helped me a lot by giving feedback and some pieces of advice to me to make my research question more focused.

After that, I also get troubled searching for data to support my research paper because most of the results that came out might talk about something else that doesn’t relate to my particular query, especially for the scholarly sources that didn’t always come out what I was trying to look for, which took me a lot of time to find it out and look for the ones that really support my paper. It took me even more time while I analyzed the text because some of my resources came from long papers, which
I had to spend a lot of time reading it and seeking out some pieces of evidence to support my argument. Professor Shamecca, however, has also offered a lot of help by offering some suitable ways to find out whether the paper links to our topic by asking us to read the abstract, introduction, and conclusion first, which has really helped a lot to minimize our time.

My intended audience was to help college students and educators from higher education institutions to help students overcome the problem of depression by offering some guidance to reduce their difficulty and alleviate the risk factor of anxiety.

I think the experience of initially having some challenges and difficulties when writing our research paper has helped me a lot with my writing skills because it has taught me to look for appropriate resources when planning to look for information that supports my subject, but it has also helped me a lot to organize my paper in a better way.

Comments ( 2 )

1. Emily Sanchez
    I also struggled with finding data that backed up my ideas, however, most of it would shine away from my topic. I think it's a great idea to read the introduction, abstract and conclusion before reading an entire scholarly article because I can't name how many times I would read an article only to realize that it didn't have have the information I needed. I'm glad writing this essay has taught you a few things, especially since it was such a time consuming essay and we had to focus on how to really analyze our sources.
  2. Jiajie Liang
    I think you did well for your research paper because you prepared a lot for your paper and you were able to know your problem and improve it. Also, you were very clear about the point of your thesis and that is something I need to learn from you! I have the same problem as you about finding resources, but hopefully we can learn better and it will be easier to find useful scholarly sources. I hope you have a good grade for your research paper.