Essay #2 Report on Research in Progress

What are the effects of illegal logging, mining, and farming on the indigenous tribes in the Amazon and how can public policy help to address these consequences?

I found my sources by searching for articles using key words like illegal mining, logging, and farming in the Amazon, respectively. I then searched for effects of illegal mining, logging, and farming on the amazon. I tried searching first for the causes of these illegal activities to get a better understanding of why they occur/what influences them. I then searched for the effects they have on the Amazon because indigenous communities live in and survive off of the Amazon, meaning in the end, they are the ones who immediately suffer the consequences. I was able to find many sources that talk about and link these effects to indigenous communities. My sources include newspaper articles from The New York Times and The Guardian, a report from Humans Rights Watch, and a YouTube video of an interview with an illegal logger.

My newspaper article, In the Amazon, Fires Steal Breath, but Smoke Smells of Money, talks about the increase in fires that are raging in the Amazon, which are intentionally started by ranch owners. It’s the fastest, and illegal, way to transform large parts of the Amazon into fields fit for grazing. It also talks about how, ever since Brazil’s president has been in office, he’s prioritized economic development over environmental concerns. Many ranch owners and farmers have seen this as encouragement to burn down more of the Amazon. This source will help my audience understand why people burn down the rainforest.

Another source I will be using, Illegal Mining, ‘Worse Than at Any Other Time,’ Threatens Amazon, Study Finds, talks about how the surge in gold prices has led to an epidemic of illegal gold mining in the Amazon, threatening indigenous territories. A study by a group of environmental organizations analyzed data from six Amazon countries and identified 2,312 illegal mining sites. They have caused the rivers to be contaminated with mercury. These toxic pollutants seep into the earth contaminating plants, animals and people. Aside from polluting, these illegal miners are getting close to uncontacted tribes which poses a mortal threat to them in terms of illness. This source will help me explain the causes behind  illegal gold mining in the Amazon as well as how it affects indigenous communities, including the bigger risks it poses to uncontacted tribes.

I am unsure about using this article, Amazon Deforestation in Brazil Rose Sharply on Bolsonaro’s Watch, because it doesn’t really give me any specific details about any public policies. It does talk about how president Bolsonaro (of Brazil) has had his government ‘scale back efforts’ in fighting against illegal mining, logging and farming by cutting down funding for government agencies that have been tasked with enforcing environmental laws and regulations. He’s been outspoken about the importance of economic development and how conservation policies are just getting in the way of it. He fully supports the mining and agriculture industries and their expansion into protected reserves, including indigenous lands.

I still need to research a bit more on public policies that are meant to protect the Amazon and indigenous lands as well as helping to fight against these illegal activities. Also, ways they can improve and be more effective.

Bibliography

Clifford, Krauss. “In the Amazon, Fires Steal Breath, but Smoke Smells of Money.” The New York Times, 2 Nov. 2019, https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/02/world/americas/brazil-amazon-fires-cowboys.html

Darlington, Shasta. “Illegal Mining, ‘Worse Than at Any Other Time,’ Threatens Amazon, Study Finds.” The New York Times, 10 Dec. 2018, www.nytimes.com/2018/12/10/world/americas/amazon-illegal-mining.html.

Londoño, Ernesto, and Letícia Casado. “Amazon Deforestation in Brazil Rose Sharply on Bolsonaro’s Watch.” The New York Times, 18 Nov. 2019, www.nytimes.com/2019/11/18/world/americas/brazil-amazon-deforestation.html.

Muñoz Acebes, César, et al. “Rainforest Mafias.” Human Rights Watch, 27 May 2020, www.hrw.org/report/2019/09/17/rainforest-mafias/how-violence-and-impunity-fuel-deforestation-brazils-amazon.

Phillips, Dom. “Goldmining having big impact on indigenous Amazon communities.” The Guardian, Guardian News and Media, 07 Oct. 2020, https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/oct/07/goldmining-having-big-impact-on-indigenous-amazon-communities.

“Why I illegally cut down trees in the Amazon rainforest | Interview with a Brazilian illegal logger.” YouTube, uploaded by The Telegraph, 2 Dec. 2019, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zITRFwiBE38&t=187s.