Essay #2: Research Topic Reflection

The question that my research paper will be based on is “How does racial inequality and poverty correlate with one another?” I started off wanting to analyze the topic of poverty, especially because many people were losing their jobs and the poor are struggling even more than they already are when the pandemic impacted the US economy. But I was also interested in exploring the topic of racism, therefore, I decided to combine both topics by analyzing how racial inequality would be related to poverty. I would also consider this a learning experience because I don’t really know much about poverty in America and how race could be connected to it, therefore, I created this question. I hope to learn why most lower socio-economic people are made up of Hispanics and black people and what factors make up these statistics. Also, I want to know if there are any solutions to this social issue and how these racial and ethnic groups could rise in their socio-economic status. This is an important topic to dive into because racial inequality and poverty—especially racial inequality—is already a problem in America. If racial inequality was a factor in those who are in poverty, it would mean that their opportunities in education, career, food, and access to medicine are hindered because of their ethnic and racial background, and that’s not right. I plan to explore the question by reading research articles, historical articles, and statistics that analyze the correlation between race and poverty and to give me a historical and/or present background that explains why it is the way it is.

Comment ( 1 )

1. Aditya Sankar Das
    Hi Alice, first of all, I want to say that you are so smart. You may be thinking why I said that. The reason behind this is you added two topics together that are related to each other. So, it will be easy for you to find enough sources to write a well-developed essay. But I think there will be a problem too. If you find too many sources then you will be in hesitation to select the proper source. I believe that you got this. You are also adding some statistics and historical information to support your essay. I am very interested. So good luck with your essay.