Essay #2 Topic Reflection

While I want to continue my research on my previous topic, racism, there are several questions that have been on my mind recently.

How do masks affect the transmission of COVID-19?

I find this a really interesting question right now. On the media, there are people who are saying masks do not work and it’s useless to wear them. There are also people who are claiming that wearing masks is a violation of their first amendment rights and because people are thinking this way they are starting protests to lift the lockdown and the requirement to wear masks in public. I am hoping when researching this topic I understand the purpose of masks and whether or not they truly work. This is an important topic to talk about because human lives are at risk. If masks do serve their purpose of preventing/limiting the spread of viruses it is extremely important people continue to wear masks to prevent more casualties. I plan on researching on this topic on google scholar by researching the purpose of masks and using scientific data and research to further understand the effectiveness/ineffectiveness of masks.

Why do we still have racism today?

Continuing from my previous essay I still find this topic really interesting to discuss and I am very interested in deepening my understanding of the topic of racism.  It is clear to everyone that racism still exists after countless instances of racial profiling within the past decade. This is an important topic to talk about because it is unfair towards people who are being racially profiled, this could affect their livelihoods and their social lives. I plan on using google scholar to further my understanding on the topic of racism by understanding the circumstances that could lead to racism.

Why is it important to focus on/understand mental health?

Being a teenager in today’s society can have a lot of stress on certain people. It is important to understand and educate people about mental health because it’s a very important topic to discuss. When I was researching suicide rates In the US I found it really surprising that suicide rates are increasing every single year. I find this an important topic because not many people understand how mental health can affect anybody and it’s important to be open and understanding when it comes to mental health. I plan to research on this topic by reading and researching psychological effects on a person with poor mental health and the consequences that can happen when help isn’t sought for and how people can improve their mental health.

Comment ( 1 )

1. Faith Morales
    I love your range of topics! All three issues are very important and interesting. I think you should keep on researching to try and see which topic you can find the most information on and figure out how the info answers your question. In my opinion, I haven't seen a lot of people write about mental health so I think that could be a really interesting topic. Good luck!