Essay #3-Genre Proposal

For Essay #3- Composition in Two Genres, I would like to explore the contrast of opinions centered around one of the possible contributing factors to the Covid-19 crime spike. As addressed in my research-based essay, the divide among Americans when it comes to law enforcement is growing alongside social and political unrest. These existing contentions may have been further aggravated by the mandated stay-at-home orders and eventual virus fatigue leading to widespread eruptions of discontent. Because my intended audience are working class and urban dwelling citizens who watch local news broadcasts and read national newspapers, I would like to borrow from The New Yorker magazine’s cartoon captioning contest concept and alter two cartoon captions to represent opposition of the same issue. My ultimate goal is to locate one cartoon that can embody two contradictory mindsets just by adapting the nuance of the caption. A cartoon that is subtle enough in its illustration to run in two distinctly different publications that target audiences with opposite viewpoints by simply manipulating the text presented underneath. I was mindful in my research paper to present both supporting and challenging stances to influential crime factors; I think it would be interesting to represent that same model in a pictorial context. I am also considering writing a Letter to the Editor in response to one of the feature articles sourced for my paper. This would be my secondary genre alongside the visual genre.