ESSAY #3 POTENTIAL GENRES PROPOSAL

I am thinking to consider visual genres, such as using memes and posters in my composition. My primary audiences are college students and educators from institutions of higher education as my topic is about the depression of college students, and how institutions of higher education and students, themselves could do to reduce these risk factors of the matter, but also to improve the depression condition caused by it. Both of these will have the rhetorical strategies of logos

The posters I will use as part of my genre will be placed inside of the colleges as part of its medium. Students and educators from there would be able to see the poster easier, which is very noticeable once they pass from it. It will contain images, texts, and some quotes from people who have suffered depression. Moreover, another genre I am considering is a meme, it will be also great to be placed in social media because nowadays technology is a great source to communicate with people, and it is the fastest way to transfer ideas and information to others, especially for teenagers such as college students, who are most likely to be on social media. It is easier for them to get the knowledge and opportunity to look at it. Next, as for memes part of my genre to my audience, it will include images and texts as well to show the significance of the topic of depression for college students.

For the process to look for the resources, I will look for images and quotes for these types of genres by using the link the professor Shamecca provided to us called, “Owlcation” and maybe I will also draw some if I couldn’t find the ones I am looking for.

Comments ( 5 )

1. Jiajie Liang
    Hi, Elena. I think your ideas are good, and I really like the genre of social media and posters you used to illustrate college students' struggles with depression. You used visuals to get your main message across. I really like the visuals, it draws my eye to the message of the poster and I think it shows the importance of a social issue like depression. I think if I were to see this poster, I would be interested in seeing it through.
  2. Alice Liu
    Elena, I'm really glad that you already have ideas about how your meme would look like and what you hope to convey in this visual genre. I really look forward to seeing your idea come to life. I also think that using memes to target your audience is brilliant, especially the college kids because I think students these days practically indulge themselves in memes for laughter or for memes that raise awareness or call out societal problems.
  3. Andrey Musin
    Hey Elena! I think memes and posters are great use of genre for your audience of which is college students and educators. I think that that's the best way to catch and keep their attention, especially the college students, while conveying important information. I think its also a good use of audience because college students tend to be going through bouts with depression and college educators can be around the mid-life crisis age so you can impact them as well. Good luck!
  4. Alexa Morales
    Hi! I like your ideas with the genres you are considering to use and I think it would work really well for you. Memes and posters are perfect for targeting an audience of a college campus and the information that use from your previous essay that you wish to include in this new visual component will really get your point across.
  5. Miranda McCants
    Great Job!! I like how you chose memes and visuals to portray your topic, I think thats a good modern day take on ways to convey your topic. I think your message will come across great with your targeted audience. Good Luck!!