ESSAY #3 POTENTIAL GENRES PROPOSAL

My inquiry-based research essay was written in regards to the topic of Psychedelic legalization and effects they have. I think for this type of paper I want to focus my audience primarily on the US government by using the genreā€™s of a poster and a political cartoon. I think focusing my audience towards the US government will allow me to make the attempt to raise the case for Psychedelic medical legalization. I think this is an important issue because of present and previous research and I believe the best way to represent this issue towards the US government would be through the mediums of a political cartoon and a poster. Political cartoons have been used since the dawn of the American government to critique the actions it takes and is so easily recognizable and understandable that it can be shared with almost anyone. I think for these reasons a political cartoon would represent the topic of medical psychedelics amicably. I think a poster does similar things a political cartoon does. However I believe, where a poster is stronger than a political cartoon is in its share-ability. A political cartoon is already quite spreadable to the masses but a poster is stripped down even further and that is why they can be seen in various public places while political cartoons generally have their home in newspapers and magazines. With these two mediums I believe our audience, that being the US government, will be able to quickly and easily understand my position and my motive and very quickly at that. This is certainly not the most effective way of conveying information. For that I believe an essay or even a film would be a better medium. However the mediums I have chosen are the best for quick and impactful understanding which I feel is necessary in the busy lives of politicians and other various representatives of our democracy.

Comments ( 3 )

1. Alice Liu
    Andrey, I've never heard of something called Psychedelic legalization so I am interested to learn about what it is and how it is a significant topic that needs to be resolved. I agree with your idea that a poster is better for spreading information compared to a political cartoon, however, they aren't as impactful as films. Films give both visual and information by word impact on the audience. I'm interested to see whichever genre you use and how your essay will turn out.
  2. Ayesha Abdul-Fattaah
    Hi Andrey, I also was thinking of using a political cartoon and poster for my assignment after reading the sample essays. I find your topic to be so interesting. Just the other day, I was talking to my friend about how shrooms has been used to help treat nicotine addictions. I also know that shrooms and acid is used in some types of therapy to help one deal with anxiety, depression, or trauma. I know these methods have been along for a while now actually. I also am reminded about this theory that us humans are how we are today because our early ancestors ate shrooms which expanded their consciousness. Super interesting topic. I am not too familiar with any negative side effects to these methods. Have you ever done psychedelics? What has your experience with psychedelics been? Sometimes, I forget that acid and shrooms is illegal. I like how you described how a political cartoon effects people as opposed to how a poster effects people. I agree with your claims on the two genres. What ever you end up doing, it sounds like it will be interesting. I wish you a happy writing. Thank you! -Ayesha
  3. Christine Castillo
    Hey! You have selected two genres that would effectively provide valuable information to the lesser informed and/or apprehensive. I agree with your perspective on presenting your topic in both a political cartoon and an advertisement to reach your target audience. One is definitely highbrow where the other simplifies your conviction and makes divisive information feel much more approachable. Kudos