Essay #3 Potential Genres Proposal

The previous topic I wrote about was the foster care system and how the conditions foster kids undergo have an impact on their behavior. I would like to readdress this issue on the following visual genres.

There are two different types of audiences I’m targeting, that being previous foster kids and the people in power in relation to the foster care system, this includes social workers and the Department of Child Protective Services.

With that being said, one of the genres I intend on using is an advertisement. Advertisements can be seen anywhere by anyone at any given time, especially a subway advertisement. If previous foster kids see an advertisement addressing an issue they’ve experienced, they would be more likely to speak up about anything they went through so they didn’t feel so alone. I’m thinking about using images found online of kids going through a happy childhood and kids going through the conditions presented in the foster care system to demonstrate the difference. However I want to use a little editing to almost blend the two images to illustrate how their situation has been overlooked.

As for the other genre I intend on using, I’m debating between a poster or a political cartoon. Both could raise awareness on issues occurring within the system while also demonstrating its effects on the kids. Through these genres, I can appeal to social services and the Department of Child Protective services to pay close attention to the situations these kids have undergone. While a poster could provide all this information in both visual and textual formats, a political cartoon might draw the attention of more individuals because of its visual and emotional appeal.

Comments ( 3 )

1. Edward Quezada
    Your topic is very important and I think using an advertisement and a poster/political cartoon are good choices to provide more insight about this topic in a way that appeals to the audience without it being too lengthy or wordy which draws attention away.
  2. Andrew Mark Salmieri
    Your topic is important and I commend your writing about it. I feel like a visual genre would certainly appeal to a broad range of people, as opposed to a full-length essay.
  3. Marat Potapov
    Good important topic, well thought out. Audience is thoroughly explained and makes a lot of sense. Visual genre will appeal more i think, considering especially in our century when everyone is always looking at a screen. Will be interested to see what you come up with, good job!