Essay #3 Reflection

My composition in two genres essentially differed from a traditional essay in the way that these essays were written. Rather than a typical introduction, body, and conclusion for my composition, I was able to divide the essay into the two different genres and sub-sections which helped organize the overall analysis of my compositions. Furthermore, through this essay, I was able to analyze compositions I created rather than analyzing a pre-existing composition. My essay focused on some of the many reasons to pursue a college education. This means the primary audience is high school students in New York City or around the United States. Taking this audience into account, I considered visual genres to be adequate in encouraging students to apply to colleges. Visual genres are meant to be visually appealing to the audience. Younger generations also tend to prefer this type of genre over another genre such as lengthy written works. More specifically, I chose to use an advertisement and a poster to convey the overall purpose of my compositions. The main rhetorical strategy that I used through my composition was logic. The overall purpose of the composition was to persuade students towards pursuing a college education so, using facts and statistics about the many benefits of having a college degree is essential when attempting to persuade people towards this certain matter. Furthermore, I chose to provide this information in shortly stated bullet points to allow for ease of reading since these compositions would generally be found in locations where people can glance at them and take in information quickly without the genres losing their attention.

Comments ( 4 )

1. Marat Potapov
    I agree to all your statements regarding Visual genres and I also think that throughout history most people denied or just ignored a problem until it was straight up in their face. They either needed to see it or to touch it. So I think that allowing them to visualize a stance on a topic is a way to get through to them and can also be used to manipulate or trick them actually. Which also isnt a good thing. Which is why its important to express your ideas through multiple mediums. People believe what they see, and what they read. Even if it may be photoshoped which is why people need to check sources. So yeah I agree a visual genre is a good medium to use to express ideas.
  2. Andrew Mark Salmieri
    Imagery is often more powerful than words when conveying a message. Images stay with people as they are forever etched in their mind and can be rehashed at any moment. Marat is correct in his statement that visual genres can also manipulate people. This is not good and one of the downsides of visual genres. Overall, I think we can all agree that the use of imagery is beneficial in expressing thoughts and ideas.
  3. Richard
    Using visual genres is a great choice because people are naturally attracted to pictures since it has much more colors and much more interesting to look at compared to lengthy essays.
  4. Faith Morales
    I think a lot of people are visual learners and that is why choosing a visual genre was such a good idea. I think pictures can be interpreted in so many ways so I can also agree with Marat. Because pictures can have different responses, people may feel manipulated. But there's also the other side where they might feel inspired so that's why using a visual genre can be so cool.