Essay #3 Reflection

Composing these two genres was extremely different compared to the traditional essays that I have written for the majority of my academic life. This is because since the two genres I have chosen were creative genres I had to do a lot more expressive thinking by creating visuals instead of bodies of texts and mountains of paragraphs to effectively convey my message clearly to my targeted audience. I’ve always believed in the phrase “A picture is worth a thousand words” I believe anybody of any age can clearly analyze a picture rather than bodies of texts. Also, because I am a resident of New York City I want people in my city to be safe and educated about the matter at hand, therefore, the selected audience of my genres was targeted towards residents of New York City and the younger generation (specifically teens). For my first genre, I used Pathos because my first genre was a meme, I want to invoke the emotion of joy and happiness in my audience because I believe that the emotion of joy will maintain itself in the person’s memory and helps them remember what was conveyed by me in their memory. In my second genre I used logos to appeal to my audience, my second genre was a poster whose intended audience is people who ride the MTA every day. I used logos in this genre because the MTA is used by an extremely wide variety of people from different cultures with different ethnicities. I thought the most effective way to persuade and inform these people is through logic and reasoning. I portrayed logos in my poster by posting the correct way to wear masks and the misconceptions that people may have about the transmission of the virus.