ESSAY #3 REFLECTION

To start I really like the concept of this essay. I love how much it varied from our average essays. When writing, I felt more connected to my words because I was not limited to what I could write. I felt as though this essay gave me the freedom to express myself. With the past papers, we wrote, there were more rules. We couldn’t share our own opinions and our writing had to be very much statistic based. This paper, although it was not opinion-based, I felt as though I could inspire people through my writing rather than just analyze a text or provide information.

Honestly, I chose to use a visual genre because I expected it to be easier. I was wrong. Although this essay was, in my opinion, easier than the last two, it was difficult to find photos that would provide my audience with the proper inspiration I believed they needed. I chose to use a quote on a billboard and an infographic in an Instagram post. Both I thought were very useful within my essay, but I do believe I could’ve done a better job finding more photos or even making the information my own.

Before I started writing my essay, I already knew that I wanted to write for women who don’t think they have a voice. When thinking of what rhetorical strategies could draw in my audience, I thought drawing on pathos would be perfect. I stated in my Audience Strategy that because we are emotional human beings, it is easier to persuade people by appealing to their own personal feelings. That is what I attempted to do when writing. I wanted to try and relate activist, Angela Davis, to the audience and prove how if someone, who may look similar to you or come from a similar background, can do what she did then so can we. I thought I did a good job when trying to appeal to women’s emotions. Overall, I really liked this essay and hopefully, I can do more like this in the future.

Comment ( 1 )

1. Erezana Morina
    Hey Faith, I also liked this assignment as much as you did, I agree with the part where you said that is was difficult to find pictures and create the visual genre. I was also having difficulties finding app and pictures to create a visual presentation of a subway ad.