Essay #3 Reflection

The Composition in Two Genres gives us more freedom because it lets us choose our own genres and create them according to their formats. This makes me to be more creative because I have the freedom to choose the pictures and words I want to put in my two different compositions. I really like the idea of giving us the choice to create our own work by our preference. While the traditional essay gives the audience a full knowledge about the topic of depression by using evidence of our research to support it. It is a long paper essay and does not convey any creativity instead. However, the traditional essay has really improved my writing skills and helped me to understand the concepts of research, but at the same time the importance of supporting our claim according to our evidence.

I chose my two different genres in the third essay by evaluating the standard of my audience and the preference of them whenever it is better to transfer ideas in a more easy and creative way or using a more traditional way to convey my messages. Thus, I chose posters and memes as part of my genres for my intended audiences in college students and institutions of higher education because I think it would be better to transfer the ideas of depression through a more easy and comprehensive way instead of writing a long paper, which some of them may not spend their time to read it. After all, I know it’ll spend a lot of time when reading an essay compared to a more creative way for them to look at it.

My genres on posters and memes engage logos and pathos to my intended audiences in college students and educators from higher education my detailing the importance of depression and some of the causes and outcomes led by this issue to help the ones (college students) suffering from depression to get through their challenges and difficulties. But at the same time, it encourages them to move forward when encountering these situations, in order to tell my audiences that there is always someone there to help them get through their challenges, such as institutions from higher education by providing help and advice.

Comments ( 2 )

1. Alice Liu
    Elena, I agree with you that this essay has brought out the creative side in us compared to other essays we've written. I also agree with you that in other essays we were able to learn and improve our writing skills and I think it's mainly because we were more "free" with our writing in our composition essay. I think that the genres you've chosen were brilliant. Combined with the rhetorical strategies you've chosen, I think you got your message across to your audience. Good work!
  2. Jiajie Liang
    Hi, Elena! I think the two genres you used conveyed the main idea of your essay well, because I could read the central idea in your essay reflection. Also, you have a good understanding of the concept of traditional essay writing. I really like your creativity, especially in terms of genre.