Essay #3 Reflection

When composing my Composition in Two Genres it was different from previous essay assignments. In this essay, I was allowed to be more creative since I chose a visual genre. My composition rationale was based on my poster and political cartoon creation so I was able to express more of what I wanted to say in this essay compared to the other essays we’ve written. When explaining my visual genres, I was also allowed to be more informal when explaining it.

For this essay, I chose to do a visual genre because it was convenient. I could express what I wanted to express by dedicating a small amount of time to create the visual genre rather than doing hours of research on an article or a website. Furthermore, since my audience is the US government and black Americans, I chose to create a political cartoon and a poster. The US government can conveniently have access to political cartoons because it can be published through newspapers or articles. Politicians would read these mediums to keep up to date with current news. Black Americans who are experiencing the disadvantages of the racial wealth gap wouldn’t have access to technological devices, so I chose a visual genre that would be accessible to the public without using money. Posters can be posted in shops, on the walls of the streets or in public transportations. Overall, I considered the state of my audiences and what genres would they have access to in order to have my message about the problem of the racial wealth gap spread.

The type of rhetorical strategy I used to engage my audience was the use of logos and primarily pathos. In my political cartoon, I used logos by having each brick labeled as a policy that the US government passed or didn’t prevent throughout American history. I also used pathos by having the black man restricted from climbing the stairs by being chained to the floor and having bricks fall on top of him. Climbing the steps would symbolize wealth accumulation. In my poster, I appealed to pathos by using the image of a fist and the word “fight” to give a sense of power and unity among the black American community. I also wrote “march for equal wealth” to demand black Americans to march for equal wealth so that they can gain the attention of US politicians so that they can make changes.

Comments ( 3 )

1. Emily Sanchez
    I completely agree with the variety of creativity we were allowed to have with this essay in comparison to previous essays. The topic you chose is an important issue to discuss and I'm glad you could incorporate it into the Composition in Two Genres. It's also great you were able to include the use of pathos and logos into your writing. Good Job!
  2. Elena Yu Xu
    I also agree that the composition in two genres allowed us to be more creative when composing our work since it gives us to choose the genres we prefer to engage with our audiences, according to their standards. Moreover, your visual compositions are really great that could connect to your audiences in politicians and it is an interesting topic about the racial wealth gap by using the strategies of logos and pathos to express your ideas and the importance of this matter to them.
  3. Aditya Sankar Das
    Hi Alice, I really loved the way you explained it in detail. I agree with you that the political cartoon and poster is the best choice to send your message towards your audience. I liked the last line of explaining the difference between a traditional essay and a composition in two genres. I agree with you that the visual genre allowed us to be informal when we explained it. I am glad that you have great knowledge about what you did and the way you explained your rhetorical strategy is really amazing.