Essay#3 potential genre proposal

For this assignment, I am thinking about exploring the genres of visual essays, opinion editorials, and memes for my composition. These genres feel like something I can work with easily for this new project. I’ve never gotten the chance to work visually or try to convey a message using stuff other than words. However, I also like writing my own opinions on these topics. Instead of having to do research and writing based on facts, I can finally write my own real thoughts and incorporate my ideas into my work. Visual essays also appeal to me because it would be my first time trying something new. I’ve never done a visual essay and at first my understanding of what this was completely changed my perspective. It would be really cool if I tried to represent my thoughts with photos, because photos do tell stories too. I think it would also be easy for me to use memes in my project because I interact with memes all the time, it shouldn’t be hard to make my own and relate it to something educational. I plan to target the general public so that others are on board with my ideas and use their voices and platforms to amplify my voice. If I follow through with the visual components, I can even try and post them on my own social medias or create a page dedicated to it.

Comments ( 3 )

1. Fahmida Akter
    I totally agree with you on how we can use our own voice in this essay. I like the ways you are thinking about using the visual essay. However, I think if you mentioned your topic it would make it easier for me to see where you are going with the essay.
  2. Aditya Sankar Das
    Alexa, you have really amazing ideas to write your genres. You made an excellent decision to use memes in your essay. It will be great if you choose a significant meme that is related to immigration. Also, if you need any help I will suggest you read "My take on DACA" which you will find on the blackboard. Also, there are abundant memes on social media about immigration. I think you have a lot of options to find a perfect meme.
  3. Emily Sanchez
    I'm really glad that you're excited to try something new and different when approaching this essay. Most people like to stick with something they're used to, but challenging yourself is an excellent way to go about things. The fact that you're thinking about incorporating the work that you're about to do on your own personal social media or even creating a separate page for it, demonstrates the seriousness in what you'll be discussing. It's great that you're actually invested in what you're talking about. Good luck on your genres!