Essay#3 Reflection

Composing my compositions from 2 genres differs from writing a traditional essay because It forced me to change my approach to designing visual appeals. In a traditional essay, I needed to adapt to the structure of having an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion. However, genre compositions are different as they are a means to express a message to a specific audience through a different medium than a traditional essay. I used a poster because I felt if I expressed my concerns in bullet points, it would be successful in bringing my message across to my audience. I want to make my opinion of American education transparent to the audience. Also, since the photographs stand out tremendously, it has a visual appeal to the audience that encourages them to be engaged. This poster helps display my subject because, through captivating pictures as well as words, it shows the shortcomings in the American education system. Another genre I used is a meme to exaggerate this ridicule of American education that can draw the attention of the educators as the problem can be serious. In doing so, to make things up to date with other countries, this might bring some kind of improvement within the framework. Instead of reading paragraphs, some individuals want to see visual pictures, which is why this is a good way to use when addressing problems with the American education system. In my meme, one rhetorical technique I used is logos by explaining how America is ranked behind countries when it comes to education. This is shown when America states that they are ranked 11 in terms of education. Another rhetorical approach that I used is a pathos that catches the audience’s emotions. By using pathos, by showing that teachers are underpaid, I appealed to the emotions of the audience. This appeals to their concerns as the audience sees that teachers are underpaid, so they will feel empathetic to the teachers in the education system. Also, in this poster, I used the sad face to talk about how the education system relies a lot on grades to represent how the students feel that the educators feel sympathy for the students should relate to. Using pathos makes the viewer of the education system feel a sense of sympathy for both students and teachers.

Comments ( 2 )

1. Miranda McCants
    Nice reflection. I connected with you when you said how you used posters that had bullet points or a message to convey your message/topic. I also felt lie that was my best option for my writing too because it easily got my point across which was good. Best of luck!
  2. Edward Quezada
    My essay also revolved around American education and I also agree that using visual genres is essential for this subject because it helps grab the attention of many who will then realize there are flaws in the system that need to be spoken about more.