Introduction Essay

ENGL 110 – Introduction Essay

Name: Christine Castillo

Major: Studio Art & Psychology

Pronouns: She/Her

Initially I felt anxious coming into a writing intensive class knowing I would be navigating distance learning while also possibly maneuvering unfamiliar technologies. However after reading the English Composition introduction and syllabus, along with the assigned essay “Composition as a Write of Passage” by Nathalie Singh-Corcoran, I feel optimistic and well informed.  I look forward to the breadth of information that will be provided over the course of the semester. Exploring a variety of essays and the technical processes behind achieving work that is both informative and interesting will be exciting.

There are so many forms of writing that it seems difficult to define what would be considered “good” outside of the generalizations of flow, context, and grammatical accuracy. Whether a piece is entertaining or dull is a matter of audience opinion. Does a captivating conversational author outweigh one who is concise and formal? In my limited experience with writing I am thorough and detailed, so while I enjoy communicating thoughts and ideas, I must be cautious to avoid becoming repetitive.  I am interested to learn what constitutes writing well and the methods that support it.

I am continuing my education to become an Art Therapist for diversely-abled individuals and am aware there are many expectations for writing within the field.  Therapists are expected to keep documentation and maintain records, write in depth assessments and treatment plans, and professionally correspond with colleagues as well as members of a client’s support team. Being an effective writer can only positively affect my future career and I hope to build the foundation needed to achieve this both academically and professionally.

Comments ( 6 )

1. Andrey Musin
    Forms are great for structure in writing but I think that the less we think of them only enables a more creative result! Wonderful Introduction!
  2. Andrew Mark Salmieri
    I love your blend of Art and Psychology. I think that is awesome! You have a very clear plan of what you want to do and I believe you will go far in your career. I commend you for your choice.
  3. Erezana Morina
    I totally agree with you on the unfamiliar technological websites that we are introduced these couple of days. I found it really hard to adapt to new technologies, which sometimes is really time-consuming. (I spend 30 minutes finding the comment section, btw ). On the other hand, I also resonate with you on "being repetitive" because I sometimes tend to do that too, which then becomes really annoying.
  4. Aditya Sankar Das
    Hi, Christine. In your first paragraph, you used "Optimistic" that shows that you have great knowledge about tone. Also, you used different figurative languages that giving me thought that you are a good writer. And finally, I want to say that you mentioned a very important point. You said that there are different structures of writing and it seems like you are presenting my issues that I am struggling with.
  5. Jaden Fabro
    The question you posed in your second paragraph is a really interesting one. Personally, I prefer a captivating conversational author, but you're right in that it all comes down to who the audience is. Sometimes I see writing as an incredibly subjective art since whether it be deemed "good" or "bad" will depend on who you're presenting it to. However, there are generalizations that make a writing "good" as you've mentioned, and through this course, I'm excited to master those foundations with you!
  6. Emily Sanchez
    It's true that whether a writing is considered good or not is based upon the audience and their interests. I strongly agree with that idea considering there are numerous genres and yet not everyone loves every genre. I wish the best for you on your journey in becoming an art therapist!