Introductory Essay

English 110: Freshman Composition 5BC2 [24980]

Instructor: Shamecca Harris

Andrey Musin 

Introductory Essay

Intended Major: Physics 

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

An image of me

Noticing the structure and depth of the syllabus and briefly comparing it with my other classes has given me something to look forward to and has emboldened my belief that English courses are highly rewarding. I believe it is important for me to relate that because of the current times the need of a haven where the ability to discuss difficult current issues and even more so a place to listen to those directly dealing with said issues is a fundamental instrument to our growth. That is what I gathered from a brief glance at the syllabus and what I believe this class will attempt to achieve. Nothing as far as uncertainty or anxiety has reached me however. 

As for the qualities of good writing, I frankly could not tell you. Indeed I wouldn’t be taking this course if that weren’t the case. However it seems to me that one who puts immense effort into something will without fail achieve some form of success and I think this case certainly applies to writing. A good hand on the pen makes for a fabulous translator of understanding. 

The most difficult aspect of writing to me has to be by far writing about something you have no passion or interest in. I remember a constant bartering system that I implemented with my teachers in every writing course I’ve ever taken to be able to weasel my way out of uninteresting topics. I do well however when I am invested in my work, when it matters to not just me but others, and when I know a sense of tangible growth will be resulted from the process. 

The human vehicle is a multi-fluctuating malleable system. I do not believe in limiting oneself just to please society or stay within its confines. Before setting on my path of becoming a theoretical physicist, I was enamored with the idea of writing something breathtaking. However dream’s never die but the people who dream them do due the uncontrollable flux that is time. So while my current goal is a PhD in Physics and I will trudge steadfast towards that, I will not throw away my dream of writing a body of work on meditation/philosophy/consciousness. In fact I will have my cake and eat it too for refusing to give myself more than one path to walk on because the words of another (being, society, institution) have jaded me is worse than having walked no path at all. 

Comments ( 3 )

1. Christine
    Hi Andrey, I enjoyed reading your introduction and agree that it is difficult to write with zeal about topics that are not particularly interesting but that growth happens when we invest regardless, well said!
  2. Edward Quezada
    Hi Andrey, I agree that anyone who puts effort into their work can succeed as long as they maintain a professional and respectful attitude in their writing. As I commented before, I also agree that expressing one's thoughts on a topic they have little to no interest in can be a challenge. However, learning to express our thoughts and ideas in these topics definitely helps our personal growth. Best of luck pursuing your PhD in Physics!
  3. Andrew Mark Salmieri
    Hey Andrey. I share the same difficulty as you. I too find it hard to write about topics that I am uninterested in. I would rather write about the explorations of the Phoenicians than about the life of Immanuel Kant. But as Christine said, growth happens when we invest in our writing regardless of the topic put in front of us. Sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and get those writing gears going. Hope you have a great academic year!