Reflection- Essay 1

When I think about writing, I think of brainstorming ideas that need to be separated and organized to create a giant masterpiece worthy of convincing a worldwide audience. In the beginning, When I wrote my essay, I forgot about my audience and the effect I wanted to evoke in them, making my paper look weak or less developed compared to others in terms of organization and analysis. Contradicting everything I thought I knew about writing was differentiating what the author is doing from what the author is saying. I used some strategies to focus on what the author was doing rather than what he was saying. Every time I read a paragraph, I stopped and thought, “ok, so what is the author trying to evoke in me?” and even though I couldn’t explain in the way I wanted to be in the paper. I never lost track of what I was reading. Another strategy I used was to try to connect the text’s purpose with the audience to see how they are related, and in some of the cases, it helps me continue when I stuck in a sentence or an idea. After analyzing my first draft, I realize how bad it was my analysis level because I couldn’t organize my thoughts, ending up with a summary for each article or video. As a priority, while reviewing my final draft, I tried to make sure I could get something better out of the first analysis. I start focusing more on rhetorical analysis than the summary, which helped me develop a better well-organized draft.

Comment ( 1 )

1. Ayesha Abdul-Fattaah
    Hi Hudibel! I agree with you, I feel like brainstorming is a huge part of the writing process. After receiving feedback from my peers and the professor on my draft, I also realized how bad my analysis was, among other things. This is why I am grateful that I was able to get feedback from five individuals. It is very easy to forget certain things when writing. So, when someone with a new perspective takes a look at what you have written, it can help remind us what it is we have missed. I am happy you were able to learn from the revision process and comprehend the criticism given as a way to improve your paper. I think it is important to ask yourself questions throughout the writing process, which I noticed you did. We are all learning together and I wish you happy writing for our next assignment. Thank you! - Ayesha