“Source-Based Essay” Topic Reflection: Racial Disproportion in Schools

Even though Brown Vs. Board of Education took place 66 years ago; schools in the United States are more segregated than never. Growing up in my country, I never understood what segregation was until I came here and lived with my own eyes. I formerly graduated from a school with a diversity index of 0, all the students with the same Latin American background: Hispanic students, no whites, no blacks, no Asians, just Hispanics. After researching more, I realize that my school was not the only of this kind. Half of the city public schools are segregated, being them over 90% black and Hispanic schools. It is interesting how people usually don’t talk about this social problem or juts ignore it. When the truth is that public schools are more segregated now than 60 years ago, today. Many black children still attend schools that are racial and economically isolated—represented as 39% are black children from low-income families background, compared to the 12% represented by white children. The fact that families, no matter the background or ethnicity, always look up for the best education for their children to, later on, realize the better schools are predominant by whites or Asians expose a lot of problems in the school system of the country. According to the New York Times, New York City’s public schools were not the most segregated: Public schools in Chicago and Texas are the most segregated in the country, with 75% of their schools segregated. And while people are focused on other social issues or are just ignoring the fact that segregation in schools still exists. The truth is that we are getting far and farther from getting the victory of Brown Vs. Board of education. 

Comment ( 1 )

1. Christine
    This topic needs a light shone on it! Segregation in schools is definitely rampant now and I am very interested to read what you discover is/not being said or done in relation to this unfortunate and disturbing reality.