Topic Reflection- Essay #1

A social issue that interests me is the discrimination against religion. It is not an issue that everyone talks about, but it definitely is one of the major issues throughout our country and many others. People makes jokes about Muslims in the US almost every day. Most of them throughs their disrespectful comments about someone’s belief at them with something like “It is just a joke”. Even though freedom of religion is part of our 1st amendment a large amount of people faces discrimination in a daily basis. By making little comments, people create even larger issue then they intent to. There have been many situations where people were rejected from jobs, places, groups because of an item of clothing that is a part of their faith. Personally, I was asked to not wear hijab at my workplace because it is against the company’s rules. I demanded to keep it, because of the shortage of workers they were imposed to keep me. However, I find it really disrespectful to have to demand a right that is given to me by our amendment. Today’s date is a tragedy for the American history, which killed thousands of people, it also left many more under the title of “Terrorist”. I have been asked if I am hiding a bomb under my hijab many times with the phrase “it Is just a joke”. However, America is not the only country that is not taking any step against actions like these. Cristian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu and many more are facing this problem all around the world. There is a genocide happening in China where the government put over millions of Uyghurs, Kyrgyz, Kazakhs and many more ethnic Turkic Muslims in Concentration camps. It is destroying lives and families. This camp was created months ago to torture Muslims to neglect their religion. People of different religions are facing issues regarding their belief and people with the most power are not doing anything to change it. We live in a modern world where we have many people who has influenced others’ lives in many ways. I want to know if those influential people are taking any action. I also want to know what we can do so people can stop discriminating each other based on their religion.