Topic Reflection: Gender Inequality

As a woman who experiences the effects of gender inequality daily, my question has always been, “why does this happen?” or “why doesn’t anybody speak up about it?”. Walking home from school was always the most difficult thing for me because I had to cross streets just so I wouldn’t be catcalled. I was always told to cover-up because of men and because “you don’t want them thinking a certain way”. As I grew up and became more educated on the topic of feminism and gender inequality, I finally realized why I and many other women were treated the way we are. Gender inequality has existed since the beginning of time. With the implication of gender roles to the lack of resources or the lack of opportunities solely because of your gender. It has certainly been a long and exhausting battle for women all over the world. This topic is intriguing to me because of the personal impact it has on my own life. While writing, I expect to be more informed about the effects of gender inequality, not only from my own experiences but from the experiences of women around the world. I plan to read about women of all different age groups, religious backgrounds, and ethnic backgrounds because I am aware that many other social issues have a strong enough impact to affect the way we experience gender inequality. In the end, I hope to be able to use this knowledge to benefit people around me and bring light to these effects to further spark conversation about this important issue.