Source-Based Essay #1: Topic Reflection

“Social issues are often a consequence of factors extending beyond an individual’s control”, is the description of a social issue. Among numerous social issues, one that interests me is abortion. For years, abortion has been in hands of a government’s policies, a man’s choice, and never in hands of a women’s body. Although the landmark decision of the U.S. Supreme Court, Roe V. Wade in 1973, women faced repeated challenges in obtaining a legal abortion that also follows them to this day. Many states have demanded restrictions and detailed limitations when attaining abortions that contribute to other social issues that society faces today such as suicide, death because of “illegal” and unsafe abortion, the abuse, etc. Over the years, women faced many difficulties in obtaining an abortion because of limited restrictions made by government policies. Women have been a victim of the system that chooses for their bodies. I deeply think that abortion is a women’s right and nobody should obstruct them to make such a decision. I feel like abortion should not be hard to obtain, and nobody should decide for a person’s body because it is their fundamental right to choose their path without any excessive government restriction. However, the importance of deciding what to do with your body is a priority to live an independent life and not feel suppressed by a system, therefore, I believe that the decision to undergo an abortion is upon women’s rights. Moreover, the legalization of abortion contributes to a decrease in other social problems in society such as foster care, adoption, and such a solution will bring sustainability in the modern world. In conclusion, I want to research more about the policies and history of abortion. The illegalness, Supreme Court Decision, facts, causes, pro-life and pro-choice debate, and solutions of abortion are in the interest of mine that I would like to further investigate. 

Comment ( 1 )

1. Elena Yu Xu
    I have the same opinion as yours, where abortion should be totally up to women (part of their rights). However, there are many restrictions on the idea of abortion even though it has improved during the recent past years from many cases such as Roe v. Wade, and any other ones regarding the rights of women. I look forward to seeing your research about women's priorities and what has impacted this social issue.