Topic reflection

A social issue that interests me is abortion. The government should never be able to dictate what you can or cannot do with your personal life, especially when it doesn’t affect other people. I’m pro-choice. This issue interests me because I’ve leaned pro-life. This is because all I was told was that a baby was being killed. I feel religion plays a large part in this argument which is ridiculous because of the separation of church and state. I understand that pro-choice allows for a decision to be made. I feel that my knowledge from both sides helps me in making a more informed decision. I believe that there is a spectrum people fall on for this issue. Some people want abortion with certain restrictions while others want it to be illegal with certain exceptions. There is a bit of an overlap in these sides. On the other hand, there are people on the extreme ends. There are pro-lifers who have harassed people going into clinics. I’ve never understood this hate.

I have learned that when abortion is illegal and is still performed it doesn’t end very well. Sometimes there is little to no access to the proper equipment to keep the woman safe. Abortion; the word has baggage within itself. It’s stigmatized. I want to know more about the specific laws and regulations regarding abortion. I want to understand the history of abortion because I haven’t tackled it before from that angle. Usually, I argue about moral issues. I also want to learn more substantive arguments from the pro-choice side. 

Comment ( 1 )

1. Alice Liu
    Very interesting. I'm also doing a topic on abortion, and the things you hope to learn is something I would have never thought of, when it comes to learning the history of abortion, and your right, it has never been examined at that angle before. I agree that church/religion plays a part in people's stance towards abortion, but I think science plays another huge part (maybe even bigger than religion) when it comes to abortion, because the argument really comes down to whether or not your killing a living being.