Essay #2 Report on Research in Progress

The sources that I have gathered are found from various sites, where the main points are primarily gotten from scholarly papers composed by clinical specialists, while the others are informed from some reliable educational websites.These articles have believability as they are completely talked about from verifiable cases, or expert viewpoints.

The first source, “What Are the Best Ways to Prevent Bullying in Schools? A new study identifies the most effective approaches to bullying prevention” by Diana Divecha , it’s an educational journal type story published in October 2019. The author is a medical doctor and studies child psychology, so the article is highly credible. The article’s research tests two strategies that are most effective in preventing bullying: establishing a positive school climate and advancing social and emotional learning. The article explains the feasibility of these two strategies, and it  shows the research and results, in addition to suggesting the influence of family factors on school bullying. This article supports my point of view and helps me to prove some of my arguments.

One of my primary bachelor’s thesis materials was a related professional research paper I found on a medical dissertation website, “Bullying, Psychosocial Adjustment, and Academic Performance in Elementary School ” by Gwen M. Glew, MD; Ming-Yu Fan, PhD; Wayne Katon, MD; Frederick P. Rivara, MD; Mary A. Kernic, PhD, MPH. This was published in 2005. The paper, which was researched by several M.D.’s so it is highly credible. It investigated what factors are associated with school bullying including student achievement, school attendance, statistical data including mean, standard deviation and frequency of demographic variables, and psychosocial variables. The survey showed that the mean achievement scores of groups involved in bullying in school and psychosocial outcomes were lower than those of bystanders. Studies have shown that students with character deficits or extreme insecurity are more likely to engage in bullying. The purpose of the PhDs investigating and studying this is to demonstrate from the data that the role of the bully and the victim in school violence is often not what it appears to be. Many teachers may decide that the student must not do anything to hurt others because of the student’s good grades. In addressing school violence, it is important to find enough evidence before dealing with the bad qualities of the student. In my opinion, this essay brings a different perspective to the various factors of school bullying.

Another article I found on People’s University’s educational website is a “Definition of Bullying” which is an objective article about the types of bullying, which are cyber bullying, physical bullying, emotional bullying, sexual bullying, verbal bullying and higher education bullying. Among the laws, national anti-bullying laws exist in every state, although there are fewer federal laws on school bullying in the United States. Second, the majority of statistically reported bullying occurs in school hallways, stairways, or classrooms.Students may also be bullied because of their appearance, race, gender, or religion. In fact, students who experience bullying are more likely to suffer from depression as it leads to lower self-esteem. This article helped me to better articulate my point of view and gave me a reliable point of information for my article.

Another source I discovered was an article distributed in the New York Times in 2011 called “Two Students Plead Guilty in Bullying of Teenager” by Erik Eckholm, which is an exemplary instance of school tormenting. This harassing case occurred in South Hadley, Massachusetts, where six students tormented and even  sexually assaulted  a girl named Phoebe Prince, prompting the girl suicide in January 2010. Two of the students, Sean Mulveyhill and Kayla Narey, were seriously charged with violating Prince’s civil rights and causing real damage, while three others deal with similar to those for youth offenses. The last student, Austin Renaud, was charged with rape. This case recounts the account of how destructive school bullying can be. In the law, the bullying student is also punished by the law.

In the profile “Beyond the Bullies: Bystanders and Instigators Enable Aggression” by Denise Wolk, published in July 2010, the article presents the views of the author of the case “Two Students Plead Guilty in Bullying of Teenager”. The article obviously communicates the connection between the bystander, the agitator, and the abuser. Furthermore, Denise suggests thatThe Phoebe Prince case points out the importance to schools of providing training and support for both school personnel and students to counter bullying and harassment both within and outside of the school. Schools have an ethical and legal responsibility to create safe learning environments.“ The case of Phoebe Prince violated the Civil Rights Act and the Education Amendment,  so they have an obligation to assume liability for their actions.  This article was very helpful in explaining the solution to the “Two Students Plead Guilty in Bullying of Teenager” case and the prevention of bullying inside and outside of schools. The ideas in this article fit well with my arguments, so I think it’s a great resource.

Works Cited:

Erik Eckholm, the New York Times in 2011  “Two Students Plead Guilty in Bullying of Teenager” www.nytimes.com/2011/05/05/us/05bully.html?_r=1&ref=cyberbullying

Denise Wolk, published in July 2010, “Beyond the Bullies: Bystanders and Instigators Enable Aggression”  https://www.hepg.org/blog/beyond-the-bullies-bystanders-and-instigators-enab

Gwen M. Glew, MD; Ming-Yu Fan, PhD; Wayne Katon, MD; Frederick P. Rivara, MD; Mary A. Kernic, PhD, MPH. November 2005 “Bullying, Psychosocial Adjustment, and Academic Performance in Elementary School ” https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/article-abstract/486162

Diana Divecha, Greater Good Magazine published in October 2019 “What Are the Best Ways to Prevent Bullying in Schools? A new study identifies the most effective approaches to bullying prevention” https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/what_are_the_best_ways_to_prevent_bullying_in_schools

People’s University’s  “Definition of Bullying” https://www.uopeople.edu/blog/definition-of-bullying/

Comments ( 4 )

1. Faith Morales
    I really like your topic not a lot of people recognize that bullying is still a very important topic. I am glad you are bringing attention to this issue. I also loved the way you analyzed each source. You have a great range of sources and I am looking forward to reading your essay. Good luck!
  2. Fahmida Akter
    I find your topic very interesting since not a lot of people talk about it. You did a great job at finding the sources. Good luck!
  3. Andrew Mark Salmieri
    You have an excellent range of sources. Additionally, you have researched your sources very well and seem to have a grip on your research. I appreciate you putting so much effort into this topic. Best of luck on your first draft!
  4. Richard
    Nice job on the amount of work done into researching this topic, bullying is a very serious thing to research about. Good luck!