Essay #1 Reflection

I believe that writing is the process of attempting to intentionally transfer consciousness from the medium of one’s mind to a tangible format such as paper. Any form of writing will strengthen this view and teach one more about oneself. The rhetorical essay was in line with what I know about writing as it is just another outlet of creativity to relay information from one’s noggin to a tangible medium albeit a slightly boring one. I do say this with all the kindness possible but such assignments leave the student (particularly me) drained by the end of it. I think this is because other than a goal of a good grade there doesn’t seem to be much in regards to satisfaction while writing it and when finished. I will say that it is not feasible to understand higher concepts of writing without digging through the mud first and figuring out the different parts of a nonfiction piece is an important testament to that. In the rhetorical essay lies the potentiality for more exciting understanding in the future and I don’t believe that is too bad in itself. I also think this assignment really exemplifies the ability to follow a process and with that process still create vastly different works because of the range of subjects. This in itself can be a wonderful skill to master though I personally have not always been enthusiastic about this type of work.

Comments ( 2 )

1. Faith Morales
    I agree with your take on the essay. I do believe any writing assignment may leave students drained by the end. I agree with you that there is almost a lack of motivation when writing besides getting a good grade. I hope that we can find more inspiration for writing better work in the future, not only for a good grade but for our own benefit.
  2. Alice Liu
    I also agree with the fact that writing something like a rhetorical analysis does leave one person drained because when writing a rhetorical analysis essay, it's such an intricate process of analyzing and connecting that makes a person, like me, not interested and bored. The only thing that keeps me going is to get a good grade. However, the only satisfaction I get is personally finishing it, because there is that, "Hallelujah I finished" type of feeling.