Essay #2 Report on Research in Progress

From numerous hours of research, I’ve found around 9 potential sources to further develop my essay. Each source elaborates certain aspects I‘m trying to address in my research essay in regards to the foster care system.
So far I have gathered four scholarly sources, two which were located using Gale Academic OneFile, and the other two found while searching online. All four sources contain the requirements of a scholarly source which makes them viable. These requirements include that it has been peer-reviewed, the author’s credentials are provided, they provide secondary sources, and the publishers are professors, students, or an academic institution.
The first scholarly source, “Foster Care Placement, Poor Parenting, and Negative Outcomes Among Homeless Young Adults,” will effectively support my ideas because it provides data and information regarding how minors are placed in foster homes, the situations they undergo within those homes, at how it all traces back to the homeless foster kids that aged out of the system. This article will further elaborate the idea on how the where the kids are placed leads to negative outcomes.
The second scholarly article, “Effect of Foster Care Intervention on Trajectories of General and Specific Psychopathology Among Children With Histories of Institutional Rearing,” discusses how children who have been subjected to consistent foster care interventions due to criminal activity, have experienced mental disorders because of it. This will adapt well in my essay because it demonstrates individuals who have experienced short periods of time tangled with the foster care system and how it has changed their mental state.
The third scholarly article, “Serving Students in Foster Care: Implications and Interventions for School Counselors,” goes into further detail about the behavior of the kids outside the system, instead of addressing what they’re experiencing, this article describes their attitude in educational environments. This article discusses how they act in school, what changes their attitude, and how they respond to certain situations.
The fourth scholarly article, “”In the system:” a qualitative study of African American women’s foster care stories,” will help develop my essay because it doesn’t just discuss the life within the foster care system, instead this article brings to light six African American women and their personal experiences, which will further elaborate how they felt during this moment and it had shaped them as a person.
The additional three sources I will be using in my research-based essay were found through consistent research on the internet. They’re viable because they’re all news articles or magazines that were published to address a certain issue backed up by data and research. The first article, “Drugging our kids: RX alliance rewards doctors as drug companies get richer,” will effectively support my ideas because it highlights a form of abuse occurring within the system, where kids are overly prescribed with medication in order for companies to gain more money. The second article, “Sex-trafficking sting highlights vulnerability of foster children,” is useful to my essay because demonstrates how children who age out of the system become victims to sex trafficking. Which relates to behavior because numerous kids aren’t taught how to be safe and cautious in situations like these, and when they’re already living poorly they succumb to it. Lastly, “Arizona sued over poor foster-care conditions,” helps to underline a home in Arizona that has already been accused of being a terrible living space for foster kids, which goes to show that there can be numerous other homes that also don’t qualify as a safe space for these kids.
Originally, I planned on using an article found on The Wall Street Journal website, labeled “Parents’ Drug Abuse Strains Child-Welfare Agencies.” The article goes into further detail about how much of a recurring issue it has become for children to be ripped from their families and placed in the foster care system due to drug abuse. At first, I assumed it would be useful to include how certain kids ended up in the foster care system and how that had an effect on their behavior. However, I came to realize that my research essay is based on how the foster care system had an impact on their future behavior outside the system. By evaluating past occurrences before they were placed in the system, it doesn’t highlight the conditions in the foster care system. Instead it would highlight the influence their biological parents had.
The article “Broken foster care system may be contributing to homelessness crisis,” by April Dinwoodie, discusses the correlation between the number of homeless people and the kids in the foster care system. It’s an opinionated article, but she does include research on why they end up homeless and why it’s important for these kids to find a family. Previously I found a scholarly article that also introduces the homelessness situation in addition to more detailed research and data. Therefore, I was debating on including this article in my essay because it wouldn’t be any new information, it would be a topic I already have sufficient information on.
Despite the research already obtained, there are a few things I want to include in my essay but haven’t found the right sources containing the information I need. I’m still seeking additional sources discussing the behavior recorded of foster kids including how their behavior has varied from when they entered the foster care system to when they got out? I have an idea on what to look for, I just want to find the perfect source that addresses this question in detail.

Bibliography

Brinser, Hannah, and Addy Wissel. “Serving Students in Foster Care: Implications and
Interventions for School Counselors.” The Professional Counselor, vol. 10, no. 2, 2020, p.                             170+. Gale Academic OneFile, https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A630064938/AONE?                                     u=cuny_ccny&sid=AONE&xid=b4072ed3. Accessed 19 Oct. 2020.
Chaney, Cassandra, and Meghan Spell. “‘In the system:’ a qualitative study of African American
women’s foster care stories.” The Western Journal of Black Studies, vol. 39, no. 2, 2015, p.                           84+. Gale Academic OneFile, https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A428998149/AONE?                                       u=cuny_ccny&sid=AONE&xid=2b5e4237. Accessed 19 Oct. 2020.
Wade M, Fox NA, Zeanah CH, Nelson CA. Effect of Foster Care Intervention on Trajectories of
General and Specific Psychopathology Among Children With Histories of Institutional                                   Rearing: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Psychiatry. 2018;75(11):1137–1145.                                             doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2018.2556
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/fullarticle/2707957?resultClick=1
Tyler, Kimberly A, and Lisa A Melander. “Foster Care Placement, Poor Parenting, and Negative
Outcomes Among Homeless Young Adults.” Journal of Child and Family Studies, U.S.                                   National Library of Medicine, 19 Dec. 2010,                                                                                                                www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3020041/
Dinwoodie, April. “Broken Foster Care System May Be Contributing to Homelessness Crisis.”
The San Francisco Examiner, 27 Mar. 2016, www.sfexaminer.com/author/april-dinwoodie/
Pitzl, Mary Jo. “Arizona Sued over Poor Foster-Care Conditions.” The Arizona Republic, 4 Feb.
2015, www.azcentral.com/story/news/arizona/politics/2015/02/03/arizona-foster-care-                              lawsuit-child-welfare/22804121/
Group, Bay Area News. “Drugging Our Kids: RX Alliance Rewards Doctors as Drug Companies
Get Richer.” Daily News, Daily News, 28 Aug. 2017,                                                                                                  www.dailynews.com/2014/11/22/drugging-our-kids-rx-alliance-rewards-doctors-as-drug-                          companies-get-richer/
Kamp, Jon, and Arian Campo-Flores. “Parents’ Drug Abuse Strains Child-Welfare Agencies.”
The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones & Company, 12 Jan. 2016,                                                                    www.wsj.com/articles/parents-drug-abuse-strains-child-welfare-agencies-1452538476
Koseff, Alexei. “Sex-Trafficking Sting Highlights Vulnerability of Foster Children.” Los Angeles
Times, Los Angeles Times, 29 July 2013, www.latimes.com/nation/la-xpm-2013-jul-29-la-                          na- child-sex-20130730-story.html

Comment ( 1 )

1. Edward Quezada
    Your research report shows you have a clear understanding towards the subject of the foster care system. Your scholarly articles are very well selected as they help connect the cause behind children being put into foster care and the effects this system has on shaping their lives afterwards. Best of luck blending your research into an essay about an important topic as this one!